On Sept. 17, 2020, the Austin City Council approved the City to move forward with the negotiation and execution of an Exclusive Negotiating Agreement (ENA) with the landowners and developers of the two blocks just west of the convention center. The ENA will allow the City of Austin, landowners, and developers to establish more detailed specifications about pricing, acquisition, and development of an estimated 750,000 square feet of a westward convention center expansion space and associated amenities.
This approval follows the direction from Council as laid out in the Palm District Resolution (Resolution Number 20190523-029).
The next step is to bring forth for council consideration a Purchase and Sales Agreement and to begin construction on the western expansion of the convention center, the first phase of a three-phase expansion project will double the amount of available rentable space while modernizing the facility.
Our vision is to build upon the strengths that make Austin extremely attractive as a place to meet and convene. The approval allows us to move forward to negotiate for the convention center of tomorrow.
Expansion Background Information
- Expansion is the result of five years of study
- Expansion of the Convention Center, in conjunction with ongoing initiatives including Waterloo Greenway, the Palm District, and Project Connect, will transform the southeast corner of downtown into a community-centric destination
- Expansion will double the available rental space of the existing convention center, allowing the center to remain competitive in the convention center marketplace
- Expansion will reduce footprint on existing convention center site, allowing for activation of Red River and Cesar Chavez between Red River and Trinity
- Estimated economic impact to Austin at completion: $300 million economic impact on the local community, provide over $14 million in tax revenue to the City, and support over 1,700 additional jobs.
HVS Study Presentation (2020)
ULI TAP Report (2015)
Master Plan Report (2015)
Renderings of the expansion are not available at this time (Coming Soon)